Friday, August 20, 2010

20 August: A century

My mother was born 100 years ago today. Here are some pictures of her -


In this first one she was probably about 6 or 7, and it was probably taken when she was staying with her grandfather or an aunt and uncle. Wonderful outfit! I'm not sure if the finishing touch is the lace trim round the knees of her drawers, or the ribbons tying her shoes.

The next one is perhaps a little later, but not much, as her father is wearing the uniform of the RFC, which became the RAF in 1918.


And here she is with her children, my brother and me (I'm the cute one), in 1947. Those shorts look knitted to me.

2 comments:

tea and cake said...

wonderful!

Bob the Bolder said...

Sorry to have overlooked this - thanks for the reminder.
Her parents certainly knew how to love the lens - and mum's doing it too!
PS - I still wear knitted shorts to go to the working-men's club at weekends.