Friday, November 16, 2007

16 November: Birthday, Knitting, Tag

Happy Birthday, Son!

One of the current knitting projects is a scarf, in the pattern Here and There Cables by Norah Gaughan, from the book Scarf Style.


The scarf illustrated in the book is knitted from much thicker yarn, in a variegated pale green. My version is in hand-spun black Wensleydale yarn, about 17 w.p.i., so is much narrower. The wool is sensationally soft, and much, much nicer than white Wensleydale. And of course, it isn't really black - more of a dark brown.

This stitch pattern attracted me because it is the same on both sides, and initially I couldn't see how it was done. It turns out to be remarkably simple, with the cabling on every 7th row, so it makes ideal work for TV watching (if any programmes appeal), or to take along to a Guild workshop day, where much chat occurs.

Tagged again by Granny J - this time it's 7 Things About Me.

1 - I have never read any of Jane Austen's novels.

2- I enjoy train journeys, apart from the stations and the other passengers.

3 - Maps fascinate me.

4 - 25 years in County Durham have failed to eradicate my southern accent.

5 - I would never make a mathematician

6 - I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

All passing readers are invited to pick up this tag and give us their own 7 Things.

3 comments:

KAZ said...

oooh - Stitch - I didn't think you were a Southern Jessie.

stitchwort said...

yes - the accent is of course hidden on the interweb.

Granny J said...

That stitch -- the same on both sides??? Now you've got me really intrigued! As for maps -- one of my passions. I have a collection of topo maps of the general region where I'm living these days. When my LH was living, we never left the house without the topos, because we never knew just where we'd land! I too never read Jane Austen, tho Sir Laurence made a wonderful Mr. Darcy.