Tuesday, March 04, 2008

4 March: Spending money wisely?

The radio news this morning mentioned that the Government is going to issue advice to everyone on how to manage their finances.

But a Mr. C. Dickens gave all the financial advice anyone needs in 1850, via the character of Mr Micawber in his book David Copperfield -

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.

3 comments:

Rog said...

I'm thinking of giving the government advice on bailing out stupid banks, selling off our assets and care & maintenance of CD Roms.

I may be too late though...

Bob the Bolder said...

Sadly, the youth of today no longer takes its life-style advice from the giants of literature.

Not so long ago, for instance, everyone's love lives followed in the footsteps of Jane Austen.

But I for one struggle on.

Nowadays I always base my fishing habits on Moby Dick.

Z said...

I agree with Murph - all we're likely to learn from the Government is how not to manage our finances.

I've always got by with not spending money I don't have and not always spending all that I do.