Thursday, March 02, 2006

Wildlife

This morning, with a hard frost and bright sunshine, I was looking at the garden to see if there were any little birds about. A blue tit came briefly to the old feeder, but flew away; I thought I had scared it off. But when I looked again, there was a sparrowhawk sitting on the fence. It's been in the garden several times before, so this must be part of its territory.
We have also had a rat in the garden - I've seen it. When our neighbours constructed a deck with a nice space underneath, it occurred to me that it would be ideal for rats, and that's exactly where this one is living.
So - should one prefer some sorts of wildlife in the garden to others? Is it "better" to have pretty little birds or large predators? What about rats and mice? Slugs and snails?
Any views?

No comments: